Sunday, January 29, 2023

Places to Go, People to See...

When I was a kid, my parents took my brother and I on a number of trips.  Going to Florida was fairly regular for us since I had a set of Grandparents who lived down there for many years.   One of the neatest trips down there, Grammie and Bumpa (yes, that's what we called them!) took my brother and I down through the Keys, and we checked out all of the interesting places in the Everglades and saw alligators and more, plus a lot of time on the beaches.  (We learned quickly to load up on sunscreen!)

My other grandparents lived "up north", so we would spend a lot of weekends up there at their house, often with the rest of the family joining in.  They had a little place in the middle of a forest, so we wandered around under the trees, built a fort and practically lived out there in the summer.  

That side of the family was big on camping, so for several years in a row we'd all gather at a campsite for a week or so and just spend time together.  We Michiganders are big on card games, and we spent hours playing games like Spoons and Euchre.  I hope that I'm able to take my child on trips like that- it was fun, and it was great to have that time with the family!  (Note to self- start watching for a sale on a two person tent!)

But I have other trips in mind too.  One of the things I've been daydreaming about in my journal is where I'd like to travel.  


If it's not obvious from the above- I have high hopes of traveling a lot!  Alaska, Italy, France, Thailand, Greece, and others are on my list, and I hope to be able to take a child to some of those places- at least once their old enough to appreciate it a bit!

Until they get to that age, I've also been trying to keep track of places I think a kid would really enjoy.  So far my list includes places like Dinosaur Valley State Park in Texas, Universal and Disney in Florida, the San Diego Zoo, and the Museum of Play in Rochester New York. 

I'm really looking forward to showing the world to my son or daughter- I hope they will one day want to help me plan a trip to a place that interests them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What You Want to Know (Part Four)

 Can You Support and Care For a Child?  I know that kids are (really) expensive.  I've spent some serious time doing math and trying to ...